Tel. 01506 283778
The IS works with councils and other partners to provide high quality and cost-effective training and development opportunities for elected members that help them develop their skills to better govern Scotland's communities.
Our strategic aims are:
• to provide national direction in anticipating, and planning to meet, the development needs of elected members
• to provide expertise, advice and support to elected members and to councils in meeting elected members’ development needs
• to provide a focus for national, regional and local development programmes that support the needs of elected members
• to promote excellent standards in the provision of development programmes for elected members
• to encourage collaboration and the sharing of resources to provide high quality and cost-effective development opportunities for elected members
We have a non-partisan role to support all elected members in Scotland. The following support is currently available through our ‘Supporting Elected Member’ programme:
You might also like...
The Improvement Service (IS) is the national improvement organisation for local government in Scotland.
Our purpose is to help councils and their partners to improve the health, quality of life and opportunities of all people in Scotland through community leadership, strong local governance and the delivery of high quality, efficient local services.
Through a series of principles, the IS works to promote improvement in local government and among its partners to support them improve outcomes and reduce the outcome gaps within populations and within areas.
The IS delivers a range of products and services that support CPPs to build their capacity to deliver the public service reform agenda.
The IS has a non-partisan role to support all elected members in Scotland.
The Improvement Services produces a series of newsletters on a range of subjects, including myaccount, elected members, tellmescotland as well as the main IS newsletter. Subscribe on this page.