The One Scotland Gazetteer (OSG) is an address dataset that comprises up-to-date data maintained by each of Scotland’s 32 local authorities.
The information comes from local authority functions which are the foundations for all address intelligence - including street naming and numbering, planning, and building standards.
The OSG dates back to 2003 and was created to support the delivery of modern public services in Scotland.
Local gazetteers are collated by the Spatial Information Service at the Improvement Service, where robust quality assurance is carried out. Consequently, the data adheres to nationally agreed conventions and the British standard.
Unique Property Reference Number
The OSG is freely available to members of the One Scotland Mapping Agreement. It is used throughout the public sector including by the emergency services, ePlanning, myaccount, and the Energy Savings Trust. It also forms the foundation for Ordnance Survey’s AddressBase product suite in Scotland.
- More efficient public services through centralised information source.
- Access to the most comprehensive and up-to-date addressing dataset in Scotland.
- High data currency and reliability.
- Robust change feedback mechanism for user confidence.
- Supports multiple government applications and links datasets.
- Allows non-spatial data to be incorporated into Geographical Information Systems for analysis.
- Access to the status of a property and important dates in its lifecycle.
- Access to added-value data associated with land and property.
OneScotland Gazetteer Custodians
Private group for address gazetteer custodians to share best practice and discuss relevant issues.
Spatial Hub Scotland
Group dedicated to discussions around spatial datasets owned by Scottish local government and published on the IS Spatial Hub.
Scottish GI Strategy: One Scotland One Geography
A forum to discuss implementation of the Scottish Geographical Information Strategy.
Scottish Public Information Notices Portal Community
A place for colleagues to access a range of information on Public Information Notices and Tellmescotland.