The Elected Members' webinar Series has been developed by the IS to provide elected members with further development opportunities. Webinars are held live and elected members are encouraged to join in and participate on the day. Webinars are also recorded, so elected members that couldn’t join in on the day, can access and view the content.
A list of our upcoming webinars is below:
Lessons learned from 20 Years of Best Value – elected member event
Thursday 30th November 2-4pm (MS Teams)
The Accounts Commission and Improvement Service (IS) are jointly hosting an event for elected members on the Commission's recent publication, containing lessons for councils from 20 years of auditing Best Value and what the next steps are for Best Value reporting in councils.
Elected members will hear from Accounts Commission members and Audit Scotland staff on the key learning messages that have come from auditing Best Value in councils over the past 20 years. Members will also hear about what is happening next in auditing for Best Value, and be given the chance to reflect and discuss members' roles in ensuring their councils meet their Best Value obligations.
Please register for the event https://forms.office.com/e/zkvdYWWDun
Recordings of all our elected member webinars, plus additional materials when available.
- Celebrating 50 years of Community Councils
- Introduction to Children and Young People's Rights
- Community Map Scotland
- Accounts Commission's Local Government Overview Report 2023
- Social Media for Elected Members
- The Green Recovery and Net Zero
- Child Poverty and Covid-19: Understanding the Impact and Taking Action
- Presentation: Child Poverty and Covid: Understanding the Issues (Joseph Rowntree Foundation)
- Taking a Trauma-Informed Approach to Recovery and Renewal (Improvement Service)
- Community Wealth Building
- Covid-19 National Violence Against Women Guidance
- An Introduction to Personal Reslience
- Fairer Scotland Duty
- Best Value
- Public Health Reform
- Community Participation
- Child Poverty
- Digital Transformation
- Engaging with Constituents through Social Media
- The Planning System in Scotland
Scotland's Councillors 2017-2022
A survey of councillors elected in 2017. It looks at the demographic profile of councillors and questions relating to their role, such as additional employment status, how councillor duties are managed and why they chose to stand for election.
#FollowMe2: a Social Media Guide for Elected Members
An introduction to what social media is and how councillors can use it for communication. This also contains brief guides to the most popular social media tools.