The local government transformation programme is developing proposals for a future operating model for councils and options for future delivery of council services.
It is an ambitious programme of reform led by Solace and supported by the Improvement Service.
The programme builds on an Improvement Service report, published in October 2022, which proposes a new vision for Scottish local government. Delivering a future for Scottish Local Authorities outlines the context that local government is operating within, the challenges and opportunities it faces and how councils might transition to a model of service delivery that builds on current success but more deliberately supports effective partnerships to improve outcomes for communities.
The paper identifies six anchors as key areas for transformation, and each anchor has a chief executive sponsor from a Scottish council. These anchors have been paired into three groups based on the inter-connectedness of their aims:
- Enable a functioning, trusted local and central government relationship and Unlocking Community Action
- A focus on people through a public sector plc that tackles inequality at the root in order to improve everyone’s life chances and Lead council and cross-sector partnerships with a focus on outcomes
- Design for People’s Needs and Create digital, design and technology-enabled transformation
We are now seeking volunteers from local government and the wider public sector to play key roles in three workstreams within the programme:
- leading a whole-system dialogue on public service reform
- participating in transformation projects over the next 12-18 months
- ensuring that there is capacity in local government to lead and deliver this transformation work.
The programme also includes the Leadership Practitioner Forum, a new network for aspiring Chief Executives, Directors and Heads of Service that will bring colleagues together to explore topics and challenges associated with the workstreams and contribute to the work.
For more information about the programme, please email Clare Sherry.
Delivering a future for Scottish local authorities: the challenges they face, the questions that need asking and a model for the future
This paper proposes a new approach for the future operating model of Scottish local authorities. The paper outlines the context that local government is delivering within, the challenges and opportunities it faces and how councils might transition to a model of service delivery that builds on current success but more deliberately supports effective partnerships to improve outcomes for communities.
IS Strategic Framework 2023-2027
The IS Strategic Framework 2023-27 sets out our vision, purpose and values, and our key priorities for the next four years.